Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Plot Thickens . . .

Life is so insane.

Today, I was filling in for a teacher at the adult/continuing education high school, St. M.'s.

[Long story short, I had worked there during my first year of teaching (2002-2003), loved it, but decided to leave to get experience in the regular school system--where it's never felt quite right. A few months ago, I got called to do a one-day job there (similar to today); I realized how much I missed it there, and I sent one of my past colleagues a message about how I felt, and asked her to think of me should a position become available in my subject area (English). Of course, I didn't imagine anything would come of this. That school doesn't have a lot of staff turn-over.]

At the end of the day, when I went to hand my attendance and notes for the teacher I'd replaced for today, the secretary told me the principal wanted to speak with me. What happened next was unbelievable: he offered me a FULL TIME JOB! I was in shock, to say the least. Apparently, one of their English teachers had put in for a transfer for a school closer to her home. The call came in this morning that she had gotten her desired position, and they wanted her to start on February 1st. So, St. M.'s was in need of an English teacher, ASAP. They went to the Prospective Hires List for our school board, and lo and behold, whose name did they spot? MINE! The principal consulted with the colleague I had sent the message to, and they decided: she's here, we know she loves this place, she has the job experience, she knows how this place works, and we like her, so let's offer her the job! So, they called the school board to check that my status was good (it is), and the rest is history.

Needless to say, I said YES: without even thinking about all the implications. This is the job I've always wanted back. I've always felt I belonged there. How many people get a second chance like this?
***
Now, you might be saying: um, isn't this blog about ANDREA? Well, yes, so now we come to how it all ties in: The Plot Thickens . . . because now I really need Andrea to stay in daycare. I have a full-time job on the line! I will beg and grovel and burst into tears in front of the daycare staff if I have to!
Still, we will find a way, no matter what happens. I won't give up this opportunity. No way!
***
In case you were wondering . . . yes, they know about my pregnancy; I told them right away. But, like the principal said, they can't/won't use that as an influence in their decision to hire me. I'll just work full time until I have to go off . . . and then an occasional teacher can replace ME for once! :))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the placement! I hope all works out with Andrea. I hope she just starts to walk a little bit by the end of the month. I understand what they are saying. You have to remember that this is a room with 15-20 kids with only 3 teachers unlike the infant room where there might be 6 to 2-3 teachers. When Aiden was in that room, it is chaos. Kids running everywhere and they are in the bigger playground. I was actually a little worried because it was so busy and he was so little. They are really active in that room and I think they are only worrying about her protection if she is not walking. Once they hit that room, they are no longer little babies, they are little people. Aiden's skills just rocketed. I know it still sucks though and we are all praying for you.

Anonymous said...

WooooooooHoooooooooo!
Way to go! (dancing for joy here)
You go girl. :)
Everything will work out just fine.
Mama knows. *wink*

Anonymous said...

Way to go Julie...congratulations!!
Let the joy of report cards start again soon LOL.
Susan

Aunt Angie said...

Way to go Julie. I'm so happy for you. It's nice to get a job that you are really hyped about. Don't worry about Andrea. She'll warm up to day care soon enough. Who knows, she's liable to see a cute little guy in her class and jump up to chase him around the classroom! Luv Aunt Angie

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker