Sunday, October 01, 2006

Visiting Daycare

On Thursday morning, I didn't get a call for work, so Andrea and I took the bus to her new daycare, and visited for an hour or so. They had recommended this to us; it gave them a chance to get all her paperwork set up before she starts (next Thursday), and it gave Andrea a chance to spend some time with her teachers and classmates with Mommy close by. It was also an opportunity for Mommy to see some of their daily routine, get to know the teachers, and discuss some of Andrea's habits, etc.

They are so great there. I am glad Andrea has gotten in for two days a week, but it will be nice when spaces open up for her for the rest of the week, too. We'll be adding on days as they become available.

There will be 6 babies in the room (including Andrea) when they're all there, two teachers, and an assistant who gives the teachers breaks. I have met all of the teachers and the assistant, and they are wonderful.

Andrea was her usual, easy-going self. I decided to set her down, and let her join the group as she wished, while I chatted to the supervising teacher of the room about Andrea, the daycare's rituals, etc. Andrea crawled over to the playmat, and sat near the kids, but didn't join in just quite yet. She was however, saying, "Hi!" to everyone--teachers, babies, people passing by, etc. The babies were very interested in the newcomer (Andrea). One little girl toddled over, patted Andrea's head, and then leaned down and hugged her! Too cute! A little boy came and played with her shoes; Andrea, in turn, started to play with his shoe laces!

Then they got out some toys (it was free play time) and Andrea mostly crawled around, checking out the baby room, and looking at everything and everyone. She was very excited, and chatted the whole time! Finally, she crawled onto the playmat and joined the others, and started to play with some of the toys. One of the little boys, just starting to walk, took a tumble and banged his head on a toy. He was okay, but he cried a lot, and Andrea started to cry, too! The teachers said they do that all the time--they cry in sympathy for each other!

Then, one of the teachers began to sing some songs (which Andrea loves!). One was Itsy-Bitsy Spider. I have only sung this one to her a few times. However, when the teacher started to do the actions of the spider crawling up with her hands, Andrea did it too! The teachers thought that was amazing. "Look at her!" they cried. "She is SO CUTE!" I was amazed too, considering I hadn't taught her to do that!

Overall, the teachers were very impressed with Andrea. They said her language development is excellent for her age (a surprise to me--I thought she was a bit behind, only saying the same few words), and they're also very glad that she is such a happy and friendly baby: no worries about her having separation anxiety, they said. She'll fit in just fine. :))

After I had finished talking to the supervising teacher, I sat on the floor just a bit away from the playmat. Andrea crawled over to say hi, and a friend came along with her. He was so cute, a little red-head about 12 months old, just learning to walk. He started using me to help pull himself up, and he was fascinated by the buttons on my shirt. He must have clung to my shoulder, and played with my buttons, for about 10 minutes! The teachers asked if he was bothering me, and I said, "Not at all! Andrea does the same thing!" He even gave me a bit of a hug, and very quietly said, "Hi." One of the teachers told me that the twins (his twin brother is also in the class) are very cuddly. No kidding! :))

Anyway, that was our visit to daycare. I am really comfortable with everything and everyone there, and have no apprehensions about leaving Andrea with them. I think it will be great for her. Even the teachers said, I will be amazed at the changes, and the sudden leaps in development that Andrea will make in just a few weeks, after being around the other babies. :))

No comments:

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker