Friday, November 17, 2006

Mommy's Getting Stressed Out!

Andrea is just under a week away from being 16 months old.

And she's still NOT WALKING.

She is doing great, and making progress, in all other areas: eating, drinking, talking, socializing . . . she's pretty much age-appropriate in all those areas.


But walking? Uh-uh. Nope. Nothing.

We're pretty much where we were 3 months ago--she'll stand up for a while if we stand her up, and we give her something to hold on to. But she doesn't try to cruise (walk hanging onto furniture), and she doesn't pull herself up. She gets on her knees, and she's content with that. I've even seen her trying to walk around on her knees a few times lately (very odd looking--is it a sign of progress? I don't know . . .).

When we try to walk around with her, holding her hands, she will take steps, but they are very big and awkward. I've noticed she has a tendency to walk/stand with a wide stance, and her feet kind of turned inward, like she's standing on her inner arches. It doesn't look as bad as it sounds; it's probably only noticeable to me, because I'm getting paranoid. And when we do get her to walk with us, she'll maybe get halfway across the room, then she'll plunk herself down and refuse to move, or at worst, she'll start to cry. You can't really make a baby walk.

(Her newest trick--sticking her tongue out at me, when I stick my tongue out at her!)

We don't carry her much, so that's not a problem; she's just too content with crawling! She crawls everywhere.

We've tried standing her up against the couch, the wall, hanging onto the railing, hanging on to her play table, etc., but she won't try walking, even hanging on to stuff. We've tried enticing her with things that usually off limits, her favourite toys, food, etc.--but she either gets down and crawls, or gives up and goes to find something else to play with.

So why this sudden, repeated outburst of angst on Mommy's part?

Well, quite simply, DAYCARE. We're getting more and more pressure from them to get Andrea walking, because she has to move to the Toddler Room in January; and if she's not walking, they won't move her up. They are very nice about it, and say they are really encouraging her to walk on her feet (which is great), but it's frustrating to keep hearing them say, basically, "Make sure you're working with her at home, too . . . " Of course we are! Andrea's probably totally irritated by me lately, because every time I get my hands on her I'm trying to get her to stand/walk!

I've been told by so many people, and read so much information, that basically says not to worry, as long as baby is progressing normally in other areas (which she is), and that I shouldn't be concerned unless she's not waking by 18 months.

So, now the question is, should I make an appointment with Andrea's doctor? I know she will either a) say to wait until Andrea's 18 months before worrying or b) refer us to the pediatrician again, who will likely say the same thing as our family doctor. I don't want to waste time in their offices if they're only going to tell me what I already know.

On the other hand, what if Andrea isn't walking consistently by 18 months of age? What will the daycare do with her? I don't want her to be left behind, or kicked out, because her walking skills aren't up to par. What if this is something we should address now--because really--Andrea's only got about 8 weeks left to learn to walk well, and she's not even pulling herself up yet! I wish I could call my doctor and just ask her, instead of having to go in for an appointment, and see if there's something more we should be doing, or if an appointment is even necessary. But she doesn't work that way (as I know from past experiences). Sigh.

I got some videos last night of some of Andrea's non-walking habits, and some of my attempts to get her moving:

  1. The closest thing she does to pulling herself up is kneeling: http://media.putfile.com/Using-Her-Knees
  2. She'll move from kneeling to one flat foot, but that's it: http://media.putfile.com/Not-Quite-Getting-Up
  3. She's standing at the toy, but won't move: http://media.putfile.com/Standing-at-the-Toy
  4. She has such long arms, she can get away with reaching, instead of walking: http://media.putfile.com/Using-Her-Reach
  5. Here's a closer look at her stance, and the way she places her foot: http://media.putfile.com/Examining-Her-Stance

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say call the doctor and make an appointment. Maybe she will have some different ideas as to coaxing Andrea to walk. Andrea's weight bearing is good, but I agree that she needs some attention to her foot placement.
Try not to get stressed, I bet Andrea is walking by Christmas time :)
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie,
I agree with your mom...call the doctor, just to see. Piece of mind for yourself anyways...doesn't hurt. I know my receptionist always asks what the appointment is regarding. Perhaps if you say "well my 16 month old still isn't walking and I don't know if I should make an appointment or hold off a couple of months"...perhaps the receptionist can mention it to the doctor and then call you back if an appoitment is necessary.
Now that you've written about your frustration...watch how much Andrea will start doing. I think I remember a very similar entry about her crawling and then bam she was crawling.
You are right though, you can't make a baby walk, they'll do it when they'll do it. Perhaps Andrea has a little personality and is like "hey...lay off me people". Too much pressuring and kids will always do the opposite...don't we know this as teachers!!!
Easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. Andrea is doing great with everything else...she'll get there.
Wish we were closer to play with you guys.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that she's made so much progess in the last few months. She will walk. She's almost there! As for the shaky legs, and funny stance, those muscles are weak, they need to get used to supporting her weight. She's like a newborn wobbly calf.
Of course I'm not a doctor, but I really think she's going to walk soon.
Gosh, she's already beautiful and smart. She can't outperform the other babies in every area! That wouldn't be fair :)
Love you sis.
~Donna

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker